The Rowan County Crosby Scholars Community Partnership, established in 2013, has served more than 6,400 public school students in grades six through 12 by helping to prepare them for college and life.
Through the support of foundation grants, individuals and corporate funding, Rowan Crosby Scholars has awarded $358,000 in scholarships and Last Dollar Grants to its graduates over the past three years.
The Class of 2019 will be the program’s fourth graduating class eligible to apply for financial assistance. While Last Dollar Grants are awarded based on financial need, Crosby Scholars’ scholarships are competitively awarded based on students meeting criteria set by the donor.
One of these scholarships was created in 2016 to honor Paul Fisher for his passion for education and his deep belief that education beyond high school is the great equalizer for all. Fisher was instrumental in establishing the sustaining partnership between F&M Bank and Rowan Crosby Scholars as well as providing office spaces for the program over the past five years.
Applicants for the Paul Fisher Scholarship will submit an essay about how they’ve been inspired educationally and how they hope to inspire others.
Continuing their passion for education, the Fisher family established a scholarship in 2017 to honor Sue Fisher and her dedication to community service. Applicants will submit an essay on how they plan to be an agent of positive change in their community.
Both Fisher scholarships are awarded to first-generation college students who plan to attend a four-year college or university.
The scholarships are open to seniors who have completed all program requirements from grades 10 to 12. Crosby Scholars can apply for these scholarships online at their student portals through March 15. More than $10,000 in scholarships will be awarded this year to graduating Crosby Scholars entering college in the fall.
Scholarships available to the Crosby Scholars Class of 2019:
• Antonio and Victoria Muñoz Scholarship: $500 nonrenewable award.
• Aspire Video Contest Scholarship: $500 nonrenewable award.
• David Post Public Service Scholarship: $1,000 nonrenewable award.
• Goodwill Willpower Scholarship: $1,500 nonrenewable award.
• Michael McDuffie Memorial Scholarship: $500 nonrenewable award.
• John A. Carter Memorial Scholarship: $1,000 nonrenewable award.
• John O. Reynolds Memorial Scholarship: $1,000 nonrenewable award.
• Joyce Kohfeldt Determination Award: up to $1,000 nonrenewable award.
• Mona Lovett Scholarship: up to $1,000 nonrenewable award.
• Paul Fisher Scholarship: $1,000 nonrenewable award.
• Sue P. Fisher Community Service Scholarship: $1,000 nonrenewable award.
Winners will be announced at the annual Senior Gala in May hosted by the Hospitality and Culinary Arts Department at Livingstone College.
To contact Rowan Crosby Scholars, call 704-762-3512 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.